[GOODS] E3 2012 – Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo Recap
June 18, 2012
One of the biggest video gaming expos in the world took place once again in sunny Los Angeles last week! E3 2012 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) basically showcases every gaming company’s (like EA Games and Ubisoft) biggest and newest video games. It’s also the time where the industry’s “big 3″, which is Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, introduce new innovative hardwares and their biggest blockbuster games. Being a PlayStation kind of guy, I was excited to see PlayStation exclusive titles like the new God Of War Ascension, The Last Of Us, and Beyond in action!
I broke down what each company has announced at E3.
Microsoft XBOX 360:
- Microsoft finally showed off their gameplay for Halo 4! Also their exclusive title Gears Of War Judgement will come out sometime in 2013.
- Ubisoft Toronto are behind the game, Splinter Cell Blacklist. The story takes place in the Iran/Iraq border. It’s all about killing in stealth; quickly and quietly. If you loved Metal Gear Solid 4 then this game is for you. With the Kinect voice recognition, you can speak and taunt enemies. Look out for Spring 2013.
- Using the Kinect Voice recognition, you’ll be able to call out plays, substitutions, and tell you players what to do in Fifa 13 and Madden NFL 13. It will feel like you’re in the field! No longer will you have to pause and no into the menu screen. Both games will be out Fall 2012.
- Microsoft will be teaming up with Nickelodean, Paramount, and Machinima to bring more movies, tv shows and entertainment right on the XBOX 360.
- For all sports fans, NBA, NHL, and all ESPN networks will be available on the XBOX 360. Not only will you be able to watch live games, but you can listen to home or away broadcast, watch replays and highlights. No longer will you have to buy the sports channel through you digital provider!
- With XBOX Music, you’ll be able to listen to over 30 million tracks and share and discover new music. XBOX Music will be coming to all Windows PCs, tablets, and phones. So all your music will be synced and with you everywhere you go.
- Nike have team up with XBOX to create Nike+ Kinect Training. It’s like having a very expensive personal trainer at your home. Kinect Training will be coming out Holiday 2012.
- With XBOX SmartGlass you’ll be able to watch a movie on your tablet and send it to your 360 and watch where you picked up on your TV. Developers will now be able to create more content for their games because while you play Halo 4 on your 360, your tablet will send you maps, specs, and more. XBOX SmartGlass will work with all Windows, Apple, and Android tablets.
- XBOX will now have a decent web browser. Internet Explorer will be coming to the console and with SmarGlass you can use your phone as a mouse.
- SmartGlass is basically syncing all the devices you have together. Microsoft calls it multi screen entertainment.
- Resident Evil 6 looks more like a action game than a survival game. But killing zombies is always awesome!
- From television to a video game, South Park: The Stick Of Truth will becoming to the 360. You’ll be playing as your own character which you design. Brand new story line just for the game.
- Microsoft showed off the gameplay for Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 and it looks epic! It’s set in a futuristic Los Angeles with computerized weapons. The first DLC will be coming to all 360 owners.
- The makers of Heavy Rain are making a sci-fi game called Beyond which stars Academy Award nominee Ellen Page (Juno, Inception).
- PlayStation All-Start Battle Royal is like Nintendo Super Smash Bros and it will have all your favourite exclusive Sony characters like Kratos. The game will be available for the PlayStation Vita and cross-compatable for the PS3.
- With the Cross-Controller DLC, players will be able to use their PS Vita together the PS3. So, you can use your Vita as a controller and be able to play a game against your friends on the PS3 or the PS Vita.
- Hundreds of PlayStation 1 classic games like Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII will be coming to the PS Vita this summer.
- Finally, Call Of Duty Black Ops: Declassification and will be coming to the PS Vita this holiday season!
- Assassins Creed 3: Liberation will be coming to the PS Vita on October 30, 2012. There will also be a PS Vita bundle with a white wifi Vita and the game that you can purchase. The handle game will also sync with Assassins Creed 3 for PS3.
- Exclusively at the PlayStation event, Farcry 3 showed of their 4 player co-op, and Assassins Creed 3 showed their gameplay which takes place on sea (looks like a clip from Pirates of the Caribbean).
- Sony and Ubisoft have teamed up to release a PS3 bundle for the holiday season: Assassins Creed 3 bundle with exclusive DLC.
- Sony announced a new way of learning and reading with the PlayStation Wonderbook. Wonderbook will work with the PlayStation Move and Eye. Wonderbook makes your book come alive!
- Sony have teamed up with J. K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter) to created the first Wonderbook, Book Of Spells. Book Of Spells will have new original writing by Rowling. Players will be able to create spells using Wonderbook and the PlayStation Move. Wonderbook will be available for the holidays.
- HTC is Sony’s first partner to create PlayStation certified games. But honestly who cares, majority of people are using an iPhone.
- God Of War Ascension will be coming out March 12, 2013. It has the same great feel, graphics, and blood like God Of War 3.
- Naughty Dog, the makers of the Uncharted series, showed off their new blockbuster game, The Last Of Us. The game seems to be like a survival/action game. You be taking on a roll of a male character with his daughter (who I think is handled by the A.I.) will help when needed. No release date on The Last Of Us.
Nintendo Wii U:
- Nintendo announced their brand new system, Wii U. The Wii U gamepad is an integrated second screen and it’s a controller with a screen. Honestly, it looks stupid.
- Nintendo showed off the New Super Mario Bros. U, Batman: Arkham City-Armored Edition games which both will use the Wii U game pad screen.
- A lot of Wii owners use the system to workout, so Nintendo announced the Wii Fit U. The game will make use of the Wii Balance and the Wii U game pad.
- Now it isn’t Nintendo without showing off some new titles for the 3DS. New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be coming out on August 19 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon will be available this holiday season.
- Ubisoft showed off their new Just Dance 4 game. The person that isn’t dancing can use the Wii U game pad to pick choose a choreography moves.
- With the front-facing camera on the Wii U game pad, on games like ZombiU players can zombify themselves.
- Nintendo announced Nintendo Land will be coming to the Wii U console. Nintendo Land will have 12 Nintendo themed attractions likeLegend of Zelda: Battle Quest, and Donkey Kong’s Crash Course.
Overall, nothing groundbreaking announced from either companies other than the XBOX SmartGlass. Plus, who is really going to buy the Nintendo Wii U. HA! I am excited to play The Last Of Us and Tomb Raider on the PS3.